Sunday 5 June 2011

Sugababe Jade Ewen, carer to her blind Mum and Dad, says: 'It's down to them I became a popstar'

By Angela Epstein

Last updated at 2:01 AM on 5th June 2011




Sugababe: Jade Ewan has become a pop star despite the fact she cared for both her disabled parents growing up
Sugababe: Jade Ewan has become a pop star despite the fact she cared for both her disabled parents growing up

As the sun slanted down from a peerless blue sky, Jade Ewen and her parents, Trevor and Carol, lounged by the pool of their fivestar resort.

Later that day the 23-year-old singer would take her mother to the spa for some serious pampering while her father went to the beach with Jade's brother Kiel, 16.

Recalling the trip to the Greek island of Mykonos last year, Jade - who is one-third of the Sugababes, listed in the Guinness Book Of Records as the most successful female act of the 21st Century, with six UK No1 singles and 18 UK Top 10 hits - says: 'They were the happiest days of my life.'

But it wasn't simply the luxury of the Petinos Beach Hotel that made it such a memorable visit. It was the first time Jade had been on holiday with her family.

Both her parents suffer from severe disabilities that have made independent life almost impossible for them.

Trevor, 48, suffers from retinitis pigmentosa (RP), a condition that causes the light-sensitive cells in the back of the eye to die. He is almost completely blind.

The condition, which affects 25,000 people in the UK, is also slowly claiming his hearing.

Carol, 50, was born partially sighted because of an under-developed optic nerve, a condition known as optic nerve hypoplasia.

She has no vision in her left eye and 'half vision' in her right. She also suffers from an unrelated muscle-weakening condition called myasthenia gravis (MG).

'During that trip I kept pinching myself,' says Jade.

'As a child I'd never imagined being able to do something like that. Not only due to the cost, but because of the fact that Mum and Dad have such health problems.

'We never went on holiday. I realised recently that when someone asked me why I couldn't swim, it was because there hadn't been any need to.

'But to see Dad wading through the sea or to have a facial with Mum was unbelievable. And it felt so good to be able to give them the full VIP treatment.

'It meant we could shut out real life and forget about all the drama and difficulties they have to face and just enjoy being together.

'Of course we still had to take care of them. Kiel and my sister Shereen, who is 22, came along and when Dad went into the sea we stayed with him.

'As he can't see, even simple things have to be carefully thought
out. But it was worth it.'

As the eldest of three children, Jade was largely responsible for the day-today running of family life.

Yet the singer believes the challenges she has faced 'made me into the person I am today' - and now, sitting in a cafe with Trevor and Carol either side, it is obvious how close the family is.

 

Jade is also well aware that many others facing similar circumstances are not so fortunate.

At the time of the 2001 Census, there were 175,000 child carers in Britain - performing acts such as washing, bathing and dressing sick or disabled adults.

Yet a survey carried out last year by the BBC indicated that the true number could be four times that.


Loving family: Jade with her mother Carol and father Trevor, both of who have severe sight problems
Loving family: Jade with her mother Carol and father Trevor, both of who have severe sight problems

Many receive little or no support in caring for their relative. They are often victims of bullying at school and fail to thrive academically.

Responding to the survey, Care Services Minister Paul Burstow said the research 'rightly highlights the numbers of hidden young carers', some of whom were 'shouldering intolerable burdens'.

The Government has pledged £400million for respite services for carers over the next four years.

'It was relentless,' says Jade.

'But though I was tired and knew I didn't have the freedom my friends had, I accepted it.

'I'd never known anything different. On a typical day I'd get up, get myself and brother breakfast, check Dad had all his clothes to hand, then I'd take my brother to school.

'I'd buy food for dinner on the way home, then get in and cook for us all.

'There was also washing to do and keeping the house tidy. As Mum's health got worse, and I got older, I'd also sort out paying the household bills.'

Even now, Jade says she lapses into carer mode as soon as she has a free moment, doing the shopping or cooking for her mother and father.

Making life easier for her parents remains a driving force behind many of her key decisions.

When she finally moved out of the family home last year, she made sure it was to a flat only ten minutes away.

Hit machine: Jade, pictured here with Amelle Berrabah and Heidi Range, is now a member of Sugababes, the record-breaking girl group
Hit machine: Jade, pictured here with Amelle Berrabah and Heidi Range, is now a member of Sugababes

Jade admits there were times when she felt utterly overwhelmed.

'Before Mum had MG, she was amazing, even though she had such limited vision,' she says.

'She still insisted on running the house, relying on me and my sister to help out under her direction.

'But when she was diagnosed with MG, things became really difficult as she couldn't do anything and she'd been such a prop for Dad.'

MG is a condition in which the body produces antibodies that destroy the nerves, causing debilitating muscle weakness.

The muscles controlling the eyelids are usually affected first. Carol spent several years unable to open her left eye (this has now been resolved through medication).

For one week every three months, she is hospitalised for treatment and has to take 30 different medicines every day.

Jade was 15 when Carol was given the diagnosis.

'I was studying for my GCSEs and I had to balance that with all the household stuff,' she says.

'It was also hard because Dad was so upset about Mum and he felt so bad that he couldn't do more to help me and my sister.'

Things reached rock bottom when Trevor injured his ankles when getting off a bus with his guide dog around the time of Jade's 16th birthday.

'Dad was immobile for ages. I remember thinking, "Why does this have to be so hard?" The person who remained positive was Mum.


'She wanted us all to do the best we could. I like to think my upbringing made me a strong person, and more determined to be a success.

'I was lucky as I had my brother and sister, but there needs to be more support for young carers,' says Jade, whose parents still live in her childhood home in East London.

They met 28 years ago when they worked at the Royal National Institute for the Blind. Trevor was a Braille transcriber while Carol worked in the administrative offices.

'We hit it off straight away,' says Trevor.

'We never gave any thought to our different sight problems. We just knew we wanted to be together.'

Trevor was diagnosed with RP when he was four. By the age of 18, he could see only light and dark and make out a few shapes.

'When Jade was born I could just about see her,' he says.

They are clearly bursting with pride for their famous daughter, who won a scholarship to the Sylvia Young Theatre School at the age of 12.

In 2009, as her mother underwent a hip replacement after years of suffering from osteoarthritis, Jade was given her big break: an audition as the UK's Eurovision entry.

She sailed through the selection process and in May that year she and the family flew to Moscow where she performed My Time, composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

WHO CAN GET HELP?

• A Carer's Allowance of £55.55 is available to anyone over 16 who cares for someone for at least 35 hours a week. To qualify for this, the person being looked after must be receiving Disability Living Allowance at the highest or middle rate.
• Young carers cannot get Carer's Allowance if earning more than £95 a week, or if they are at school or college for more than 21 hours a week. Those over 16 who want to stay in education can apply for an Education Maintenance Allowance of up to £30 a week.
• Those under 16 are not entitled to financial support in their own right. However, the adult being cared for, or another adult involved in the child's life, may request a carer's assessment from social services. This may result in additional support being provided, including a professional adult carer being brought in, meals on wheels, and respite care.
• Charities including Barnardo's (www.barnardos.org.uk), The Children's Society (www.childrenssociety.org.uk) and Youngcarers. net also provide schemes that offer respite care and advice.

Jade finished a respectable fifth, bringing the UK its best placing for seven years. For Jade it was a bittersweet experience.

She says: 'Doing Eurovision made me realise that Dad - a person I really loved - couldn't see me while millions of people around the world could.'

Although she lost out on the top prize, Jade's career was in the ascendancy. In September 2009, she was asked to join the Sugababes.

Her parents' health problems are hereditary - but Jade is seemingly unaffected.

There is a chance she could develop RP, and she has been advised to have regular eye tests that would pick up early signs of the disease. There is also a risk the conditions could be passed on to any children she may have.

'RP can be inherited and although her sight is fine, if Jade is carrying the gene that causes this, she could pass it on to a child,' says ophthalmic surgeon Oliver Backhouse, of Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.

'The only way to be sure is to have a genetic screening to find out which mutation she has.'

Jade, who is going out with EastEnders actor Ricky Norwood, 23, says she has no qualms about one day settling down and having a family.

'I don't allow myself to think about it,' she says.

'I want children and I want them to be healthy. I have considered having genetic testing when the time comes.

'I'm not sure knowing I could pass on sight problems would stop me. I would give any child the best life I could, no matter their ability.'

She says she is more concerned about any deterioration in her parents' health.

'I worry about the day when Mum is unable to look after Dad. I want to be able to buy them a nice house.

'My parents have been wonderful role models. I know I could develop the conditions they have, but for now I am concentrating on the amazing qualities I can inherit from them.'


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1394350/Sugababe-Jade-Ewan-carer-blind-Mum-Dad-says-Its-I-popstar.html#ixzz1OOWhFbQS

No comments:

Post a Comment